Near & Far Aid Designer Q&A Series: Amelia Johnson Design
1) How would you describe your design style?
Colorful, fun, eclectic, livable and of course, family friendly.
2) Do you have a signature color or palette that you tend to gravitate towards?
Blue, for sure! I’ve always loved blue — and as a mom of three boys — our house just naturally evolved into a house of blues. I also love white as it provides a blank canvas for me to infuse any color into a room.
3) Where do you draw your inspiration from when approaching a new client project?
When beginning a new project, I like to focus on the “bones” of the space I’m designing to stay true to its original form and location. It’s also essential to ensure my client’s lifestyle and taste are reflected in the space as it’s truly a collaborative effort.
4) You lived abroad in London. Tell us how this experience helped shape you as a designer?
Living abroad provided me with the opportunity to see and learn from many different cultures and their unique design styles. I always loved shopping in the boutiques and flea markets during my travels and still source from many of these places today.
5) You seem to love wallpaper as much as we do! Tell us some of your favorite places to incorporate this design detail.
The right wallpaper in the right place can transform an ordinary space into something really spectacular. I’m a huge fan of putting wallpaper in small spaces, especially ones you aren’t in for extended periods of time, for example a powder room or foyer. Wallpaper can bring great pops of pattern, color and even texture into a home, but you want to make sure it doesn’t overpower the space.